25 people are watching this item
10 items have recently sold!
Click to zoom
Please Note: Remember computer screens and printers do not interpret colour consistently. We recommend that you order a tester before making your final colour choice.
Kolourseal Flexible Roof Coating is a breathable, high-integrity roof tile sealant and colourant, which is easy to apply by brush or spray. Kolourseal combines the highest grade pure acrylic polymers to impart durability, with U.V stable pigments for depth of colour and 10-year life.Read More
The colours shown here are dependent upon screen settings or monitor calibration, they are a guide only. The actual colour may vary.
Due to ADR regs on transport of flammables we can only send 25L drums of solvent product via premium rate special carrier, hence minimum FREE carriage order is 4 x 25L or ring for a quote. Alternatively, you can still collect single 25L drums at our Ulverston or Glasgow trade counters.
We would only use this to contact you to discuss your experience with our products.
Bio-wash Roof Cleaner is formulated for the effective removal of moss and other organic growth from almost all types of roofing materials. It is also essential for the suppression of moss growth post cleaning, which would otherwise quickly re-invade the freshly cleaned surface.
High performance but low odour (water based) interior sealer, formulated to provide a tough finish on concrete floors, wall panelling and castings. Floor & Wall Seal is the rapid solution to prevent troublesome dusting from concrete. Hardens concrete floors that have turned out soft or friable. Clear finish with slight surface colour enhancement.
It is nearly two decades since we started manufacturing Kolourseal Flexible Roof Coating in response to customers who wanted a “reliable roof coating that doesn’t flake off”. The original brief was therefore simple; “Performance, ease of application, class-leading durability” if difficult to actually turn into a product! However, with determined innovation, endless testing and much support from our polymer partners, we developed the first generation of Kolourseal Roof Coatings. They were an instant hit with independent contractors, word spread and years later we believe we have remained true to that original ethos.Looking back the market was flooded with poor quality coatings, applied without sufficient preparation and care, by companies that sprang up overnight and disappeared just as quickly. It is disappointing therefore that the concept of roof renovation got unfairly tarnished by “cowboys” at the time. However, that legacy has now faded, more applicators are educated and roof coating has gained its rightful place among the routine decorating & maintenance trades.That said there is nothing routine about the transformative effect that a good Kolourseal application can exhibit on a property. There is no escaping the fact that a grubby, tired roof really brings a property down. Even after seeing hundreds of roof renovations, it is still astonishing how this one improvement can elevate a home’s appearance, more than replacement windows, new fascia boards or even painting the exterior walls.Today Kolourseal is more popular than ever with exterior decorating professionals, roofers and DIY applicators alike. Its water-based, pure acrylic polymer formulation is easy to use and is specifically designed to renovate a variety of mineral-based roofing materials, especially roof tiles but also roof sheets (incl. asbestos cement and cement fibre).• Transforms tired and faded roof tiles• Detached homes, bungalows, terraced houses, garages, commercial• Waterproofs & seals porous roof tiles• Stops moss and mould growth• High-bond & high-elasticity formula doesn’t flake• Roof colourant and sealant in one• Microporous (breathable) formulation• 10-year roof sealant lifespan• Outstanding depth of colour• Lifts the appearance of the entire property
It is perhaps an obvious point but roofs take a lot of punishment from the weather, and the cumulative impact over years or decades can be significant. In winter, temperatures can fall well below zero, inviting frost damage as water embedded in the surface turns to ice. In summer, roof temperatures can build to over 50 degrees C, which in combination with intense U.V light, degrades colouring. And of course, it can rain for prolonged periods at any time of year, inviting moss and mould growth to expand.The net impact of all these factors can include: 1. The original weather resistant coating wears away from the tile surface2. The tiles lose their colour vibrancy and water-proofing3. The freeze/thaw cycle delaminates ever larger particles4. The concrete or clay softens, allowing organic growth to take hold5. Moss in particular embeds in the substrate and becomes its own water reservoir6. The root systems further degrade the tile surface7. The moisture-laden moss exacerbates frost damage, promoting further delamination8. After heavy downpours, moss dislodges taking the tile surface with it, eventually blocking guttersNevertheless, it is perfectly feasible to reverse the decay cycle using the Kolourseal system and to restore both the appearance of the roof and its essential waterproof qualities. In fact with the correct preparation and application methods, Kolourseal should provide a better quality finish than the tiles had from new. However, we should perhaps not congratulate ourselves too greatly for this. Roof tiles were historically manufactured “down to a price”, which meant that basic colouring was “flashed over” in a single coat at the end of the production line. Additionally, a tile made in the eighties obviously does not benefit from the polymer technology found in Kolourseal today! Kolourseal is micro-porous, allowing moisture vapour to pass through the film from the roof substrate to the atmosphere while remaining impervious to rainwater penetration. This permeability function prevents blistering, delamination and premature adhesion failure when the system is installed correctly. Kolourseal is also UV light resistant and thus combats the sun’s fading action, helping the coating to retain its colour over long periods. Additionally, the adhesion provided by our premium grade, elastic polymer prevents cracking and flaking.Installed under the correct conditions and procedures, Kolourseal will provide long term weather protection for at least 10 years.Potential applications include:Domestic, commercial, agricultural and industrial buildings fitted with: • Concrete Roof Tiles• Clay Roof Tiles (except “Rosemary” Tiles) • Artificial Slate • Asbestos Sheets & Tiles
1. Clean the roof To ensure that the coating bonds to the roof substrate, the surface must first be cleansed of all moss, mould, lichen, carbon deposits and airborne dirt. When cleaning concrete roof tiles, cement fibre or clay roof tiles, these should be thoroughly pressure washed using a commercial-spec pressure washer, ideally, with an output pressure of 2500 to 3000 pi and a spray lance equipped with a rotary turbo-jet nozzle. You should always start from the ridge of the roof and pressure wash downwards.2. RepairsReplace cracked or broken tiles with new or good condition weathered tiles and re-point ridges, hips and verges as required. All repairs/re-pointing works to ridges, hips etc. should incorporate Kingfisher Pointing Solution in the mortar mix to reduce cracking, improve flexibility and enhance the longevity of the repair. We recommend that a minimum interval of 24 hours should be allowed for mortar repairs to achieve an initial cure before proceeding to coating. Repairs MUST be treated with Weatherflex Stabilising Solution to neutralise alkalinity in the cement which will otherwise cause flaking.3. Bio Wash TreatmentAfter cleaning (once dry) the roof should be sprayed with Kingfisher Bio Wash Roof Cleaner. This is applied by a low-pressure pump sprayer (as for weed killer etc.) to the entire roof surface and is left to dry out (do not rinse). This is an extremely important phase in the renovation process because this will greatly reduce the possibility of moss or lichens re-growing under the new coating.4. Two Coat ApplicationBrush application: Apply 2 coats of Kolourseal using a high-quality masonry paintbrush, working in broad even strokes, taking care not to over-apply. Pay close attention to tile edges and corners, ensuring that the coating is worked well into all crevices and joints.Airless spray Application: Apply 2 coats of Kolourseal by high-pressure sprayer. We recommend a typical GRACO 4900 or 5900 series airless sprayer with the pressure set at 2500 psi and fitted with a 517 nozzle tip blade (17 thou) for optimum performance. Ensure that roof lights and vents etc. are protected from over-spray and take precautions to avoid spray drift contamination of vehicle finishes in the vicinity.Apply only in dry conditions to a dry surface, with no rain expected for at least 24 hours post-application. As with all water-based coatings, please be aware that you need to plan any exterior works to allow sufficient drying time for the product to cure before the evening dew point.Re-coat time: 1 - 4 Hours @ 20 °C *Full cure: 24 Hours @ 20 °C ** Curing times will increase significantly at lower temperatures and high humidity.
Kingfisher Pointing Solution
Weatherflex Stabilising Solution
Kingfisher Bio Wash Roof Cleaner
The coverage rate is 5 to 6 sq m per litre, so an average 100 square metre roof will require: 2 x 20kg containers for a two coat application.
a) Not suitable for flat surfaces or shallow gradientsb) Do not apply to damp surfaces or in wet weather
As always we recommend that you read the Technical Data Sheet & Safety Data Sheet thoroughly before commencing any work. If in doubt please call us for advice, we are here to help.
Kingfisher Kolourseal Flexible Roof Coating is an advanced high-bond, styrene acrylic polymer coating system specifically designed to renovate a variety of mineral-based roofing materials, especially roof tiles and sheets. Kolourseal is micro-porous, allowing moisture vapour to pass through the film from the roof substrate to the atmosphere while remaining impervious to rainwater penetration. This permeability function prevents blistering, delamination and premature adhesion failure when the system is installed correctly. Kingfisher Kolourseal is also UV light resistant and thus combats the sun’s fading action, helping the coating to retain its colour over long periods.
Installed under the correct conditions and procedure Kolourseal with its UV light protecting elements will provide long term weather protection for 10 years.
Companion / Related Products:• Kingfisher Bio Wash Roof Cleaner• Kingfisher Asbestos Sealer & Primer• Kingfisher Pointing Solution• Kingfisher Weatherflex Stabilising Solution• Parabond polymer sealant
Refer to these individual product data sheets for detailed application guidance published on our websitewww.kingfisheruk.com.
Domestic, commercial, agricultural and industrial buildings fitted with:• Concrete Roof Tiles• Clay Roof Tiles (except Rosemary Tiles)• Artificial Slate• Asbestos Sheets & Tiles
If in doubt, please call our technical services department on 01229 869 100 for guidance. Kingfisher Kolourseal Flexible Roof Coating is for use on pitched roofs only.
• Ease of application by brush or high-pressure sprayer• Highly durable weatherproof finish with high UV resistance• Extends roof surface life by 10 years• Fibre encapsulating (for Asbestos Cement)• Tools can be cleaned with soap and warm water after use
1. Clean the roof: To ensure that the coating bonds to the roof substrate, the surface must f be cleansed of all moss, mould, lichen, carbon deposits and airborne dirt. When cleaning concrete roof tiles, cement fibre or clay roof tiles, these should be thoroughly pressure washed using a commercial-spec pressure washer, ideally with an output pressure of 2500 to 3000 pi and a spray lance equipped with a rotary turbo-jet nozzle (NOTE: If hiring a pressure washer, ask for a minimum 100ft/30m hose). You should always start from the ridge of the roof and pressure wash downwards. The lance should never be pointed up the roof as this will potentially jet water under the tiles and into the roof space. Before commencing pressure washing “bung” the gutter downpipes with a mesh filter or like to prevent blockage to the roof drainage system.
2. Repairs: It is often only after cleaning that the full extent of required repairs becomes obvious. Replace crackedor broken tiles with new or good condition weathered tiles (sometimes a better match) and re-point ridges, hipsand verges as required. All repairs/re-pointing works to ridges, hip etc should incorporate Kingfisher Pointing Solution in the mortar mix (in place of standard cement plasticiser) to reduce cracking, improve flexibility and enhance the longevity of the repair. We recommend a minimum interval of 24 hours should be allowed for mortar repairs to achieve an initial cure before proceeding to coating and these repairs MUST be treated with Kingfisher Weatherflex Stabilising Solution before the Kolourseal is applied. The stabilising solution neutralises the alkalinity in the cement and prevents the fresh coating from delaminating as the new mortar cures through. This unfortunate chemical reaction can be seen on many poorly executed roof coating projects where paint has flaked off along the ridge mortar or hip beds!
Kingfisher Weatherflex Stabilising Solution
3. Bio Wash Treatment: After cleaning (once dry) the roof should be sprayed with Kingfisher Bio Wash Roof Cleaner. This is applied by a low-pressure sprayer (as for weed killer etc.) to the entire roof surface and is left to dry out (do not rinse). This is an extremely important phase in the renovation process because this will greatly reduce the possibility of moss or lichens re-growing under the new coating. The pressure washing process leaves the roof looking clean and usually, a 100% better than before, but the moss root systems and mould/lichen spores are still present in hundreds of microscopic crevices e.g between tiles. Spraying the roof liberally with Kingfisher Bio Wash Roof
Cleaner ensures that the roof surface is sanitised and inert, ready for the first coat of Kolourseal Flexible Roof Coating.
Kingfisher Bio Wash Roof
1. Pre-treat with Kingfisher Bio-Wash (removes moss, green mould & lichens): Liberally spray the entire roof surface with Kingfisher Bio-Wash Roof Cleaner using a low-pressure sprayer (as for garden weed killer) and leave for 7 days to activate. This effectively sanitises the roof surface by killing the obvious areas of growth as well as the hidden spores buried deep in the substrate and overlap joints.
2 Clean Roof (remove debris): Thoroughly damp the roof by mist spraying with water (suppresses the release of harmful fibres) and brush/scrape the dead moss and other surface dirt and laitance into bags for disposal as AC waste. Alternatively, for larger areas, the “closed box” pressure washing method described in HSE doc A12 can be used but the waste sludge and water run-off must be collected in the gutters and downpipes. This involves diverting all runoff into one downpipe usually temporarily modified on-site to divert the water into a mobile water filtration system. Allow to dry.
Note:- DO NOT pressure wash asbestos with a lance attachment as this may result in the uncontrolled release of potentially harmful asbestos fibres. There is a highly informative 2-page document covering this on the HSE website, reference number A12 which can easily be downloaded for your further reference.
3. Repair RoofGeneral: Sealers and coatings should only be applied to essentially sound roofs so a pre-inspection of the roof structure and surface conditions should always be undertaken by a competent person (eg. An experienced roofing contractor or a structural engineer) before commencing work. This will determine whether the supporting steel/timbers need repair and identify any cladding/roof sheets which are damaged or decayed beyond practical repair and therefore need complete replacement. In addition, this inspection will typically inform the competent person’s choice of access equipment to be used for safe execution works.
Minor Repairs: Any minor cracks or holes, especially around fixings can be filled with Parabond Hybrid Polymer Sealant. Cracks of up to 3mm can be successfully filled by applying a bead of Parabond along the crack and then pressing/smearing it firmly into the damaged area. We recommend wearing disposable latex gloves for this task as the hybrid polymer, whilst neutral in its formulation is very highly adhesive. Parabond is fully over-paintable once cured but try to avoid applying primer to it.
Parabond Hybrid Polymer Sealant
Note: Multi-Task Wipes are formulated to quickly remove Parabond from skin and tools before it cures.
Larger Repairs: Bigger cracks or holes can be bridges with Kingfisher Fibreseal – a thixotropic fibre reinforced roofing compound & Kingfisher Scrim Mesh. Apply one coat of Fibreseal to the affected area and bed the fine mesh into the Fibreseal, then leave to cure. Once cured apply a 2nd coat over the mesh. Avoid applying the Asbestos Primer to this repair and leave for a minimum of 2 days before applying Kolourseal or Asbestos Roof Coating.
Kingfisher Scrim Mesh
4 Prime Roof: Apply one coat of Kingfisher Asbestos Sealer & Primer by brush or spray. DO NOT overapply. Brush out any runs which may occur. The material should have soaked into the surface after approximately 20 mins. Drying time will vary depending on the surface porosity and ambient temperature, but normally 4-8 hours should be allowed for each coat to fully dry. However, it is better to apply subsequent coast of Kingfisher Kolourseal or Asbestos Roof Coating whilst the primer still has a slight tackiness as this aid’s adhesion.
a. Brush application: Apply 2 coats of Kolourseal using a high-quality masonry paintbrush, working in broad even strokes, taking care not to over-apply. Pay close attention to sheet edges and corners ensuring that the coating is worked well into all crevices and joints.b. High-pressure sprayer: When applying by high-pressure sprayer we recommend a typical GRACO 4900 or 5900 series airless sprayer with the pressure set at 2500 psi and fitted with a 517 nozzle tip blade (17 thou) for optimum performance. Ensure that roof lights and vents etc. are protected from over-spray and take precautions to avoid spray drift contamination of vehicle finishes in the vicinity.
Apply only in dry conditions to a dry surface, with no rain expected for at least 24 hours post-application. As with all water-based treatments, please be aware that you need to plan any exterior works to allow sufficient drying time for the product to cure before the evening dew point, especially in the shorter days of Autumn and early Spring (Winter applications in the UK /Northern Europe should be limited where possible). On a roof surface warmed by the summer sun, Kolourseal will dry in under an hour, permitting 2 coats to be applied in one day whereas in cooler months initial cure may take 4 hours so only 1 coat is possible.
DO NOT APPLY at air or surfaced temperatures below +7 °C
All equipment can be cleaned using warm soapy water.
5-6 sq.m / litre per coat depending on the porosity of the surface.
Kingfisher Kolourseal is supplied in durable 20kg polypropylene buckets complete with an airtight snap ring seal so they don’t leak or break easily in transport. The bucket shape is compatible with most high boy configuration commercial paint spraying equipment.
The product has a shelf life of 12 months unopened from the date of manufacture, subject to correct storage conditions. Store upright in original sealed packaging in a cool dry place, out of direct sunlight, away from frost. NOTE: Once frost-damaged this product is unusable (this will be immediately apparent if any attempt is made to apply it) and cannot be recovered by warming up or any other means.
• If applying by spray wear a face mask (FFP3)• When preparing and cleaning the surface wear a face mask (minimum FFP3)• Wear disposable gloves and coveralls during preparation and application• Avoid contact with skin and eyes• If contact occurs wash immediately with plenty of water• Keep out of reach of children• Ensure good ventilation during application and drying• Always dispose of empty packaging responsibly
This product is non-hazardous in normal use.
NOTE: Working at height is hazardous and AC (Asbestos Cement) roofs, in particular, can be very fragile and must only be accessed with caution using the correct weight spreading crawler boards, harnessing etc. We are primarily coatings manufacturers NOT Health & Safety advisors and as such we do not offer definitive guidance on Working at Height or Working with Asbestos, so we recommend that you consult a competent person or Health & Safety professional before commenting on any roofing works.
Before using this product read the Material Safety Data Sheet which can be obtained at www.kingfisheruk.com or by calling the Kingfisher Technical Dept. Tel: 01229 869 100.
The information given in this product data-sheet is given in good faith, based on current knowledge and experience. It relates only to the specific material designated and may not be valid for such material used in combination with any other materials or in any process. Such information is to the best of the company’s knowledge and belief, accurate as of the date indicated.
All recommendations are made without warranty or guarantee, as to accuracy, reliability, completeness since the conditions of use are beyond our control. It is the user’s responsibility to satisfy themselves as to the suitability and application of such information for their own use.
Top quality Product, Top quality delivery and Top Notch Tech support, will use their products again
Reviewed by Alan R Jenkins
This paint is just perfect. Terracotta Clay was my choice and it looks stunning. Big thank you to Leon at Glasgow branch for all his help it was invaluable so many thanks for that Leon.
Reviewed by Margaret Wallace
All fields marked with an * are required. If you are sending a photo, please allow time for the contact form to upload the photo. Please do not click refresh after clicking send until the form is submitted.